Sunday, October 6, 2013

C4K Summary for September

For my first C4K, I got to visit Ms. Martin's English class.

Buckshot9856 wrote that they believe in Ghosts. They shared several stories in which they went ghost hunting with their mother and aunt. They saw a ghost of a little boy that had been cut up from head to toe in the cemetery. Later that night they saw one in a house, a dark shadow in a mirror... Buckshot said that there were people living in the house with the dark shadow, and didn't see how they can stay! Personally I don't either! Yikes! I tried to encourage Buckshot with a story. My grandmother’s house was haunted by a woman named Nelly. She was a wonderful woman that never got to have children of her own. She was killed due to a horseback riding accident, and she never left her home. My sister and I were staying the night one time, and I had kicked off all of my covers in my sleep. I was freezing! Well I woke up. Then a woman leaned over me, pulling up the covers and tucking me in. I remember that she smelled like lavender and horses. The next morning, I thanked my grandmother for tucking me in. My grandmother said, “I never left my room sweetie…” Then I told Buckshot not to worry, that there are nice ghosts in the world. I said "You just have to find them. Are you going to keep searching?"



My second C4K has me visiting the Outback, to Mrs. Lieschkes's 5th grade class.

Harmony writes that she was video chatting with a friend of hers, named Natalie. Natalie asked Harmony what her Club Penguin username was. Unbeknownst to Harmony, Natalie was making an account in Club Penguin, where Harmony was currently playing. All of a sudden, another penguin appeared in Harmony's igloo! She thought it was a weird stranger, but it was just Natalie. They then proceeded to play hide and seek in the igloo, and they had a grand ol' time. After introducing myself, I told Harmony that I like online gaming as well. I said that I play Guild Wars, an online game where you battle monsters to save the kingdom. When random people come talk to you in the game, it is creepy. On that front, she and I agree. Then I asked her if she plays any other games. She has since written back asking me what my favorite online game is! Hers is Club Penguin. I told her mine was Borderlands 2. She has yet to comment back.

Goldilocks and the three bars
My third C4K took me over to New Zealand!

There I met Liz, a grade 5 student in Miss Ouano's class. She wrote a "Point-of-view" story about Goldilocks and the Three Bears. She was taking a Mint Cake to her Nana. She went into a cute house, tried soup, sat on a chair, and took a nap. When she awoke, the bears were home, and she ran away! She ducked into other houses to hide, and only found more bears! She tripped, and the bears helped her up and said all she had to do was ask to use their things. After that, she, the bears, and her family all got together and had a good time! My comment to her was that her mint cake sounded delicious and that I loved her story. Then I asked if she enjoyed telling stories.

Thick clouds


My fourth C4K brought me to the US, in Robertsdale.

In Mr. Rhodus's sixth grade class, I met Janie, who decided to answer the question "How much does the sky weigh?" She said that the atmosphere weighs five million billion tons! Wow! And that equates to roughly fifteen pounds of pressure per square inch. I had no idea that the air around us was that dense! I told her that I was amazed by her post. And then I brought up the fact that newborns, who up until birth exist in a relatively weightless environment, can't pick up their heads. I attributed that to the fact that we have fifteen pounds of pressure all over our bodies, and made the observation that it is no surprise that babies can barely move when they are born!

Thoughtful monkey


Final Thoughts

Having gone through and commented on these students' blogs, I am in awe. Mainly because even as far away as Australia, kids are the same. All children are different, but there are commonalities. I find it refreshing and new, but comforting and familiar all at once. They're wonderful, and they surprise you at every turn. And yet, as I continue to learn the skills I need to be a teacher, with all of these changing teaching methods and technologies, I breathe easy. I may have to learn all sorts of new things to be able to do my job, but kids will be kids no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment