Sunday, October 6, 2013

Project #2: PLN in Progress

My PLN

A network of people


A personal learning network is, to put it simply, your outside resources. It can be a person or an application that you go to when you need help or collaboration. This is challenging for me, and it is something I am working at. I try to remind myself that "no man is an island." I've always been a very independent person. If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't like asking for help at all. I'm prideful. I don't want to say to someone "I need help, I can't do this myself." I feel like I should be able to do it myself! As I progress through my education at USA, I have to remember that I will need help. And I shouldn't feel inadequate when I ask for help. Just last week, I had my first meeting with an adviser. Ever. I've been in and out of college, unable to decide what I wanted to major in, since 2008. And I have never sat down with someone and said "I don't understand what I need to do to proceed. Please help me." And when I walked out of his office, all of my ducks neatly in a row, and my worries completely alleviated, I marveled at myself! I thought "I've gone all of this time without any sort of guidance, flying by the seat of my pants. No wonder I haven't graduated yet!"

So with that all in mind, I have begun my search for the people and places that I am going to go to for help in the future. I am finding some amazing resources that I know I will come back to. There are Twitter feeds, blogs, and websites that I have followed or bookmarked, and they are as follows:

We Are Teachers ‏ @WeAreTeachers
We offer ideas, inspiration & information for your best days & double that for your hard ones. Supporting kids means supporting educators, always.

Ed Week Teacher ‏ @EdWeekTeacher
Education Week Teacher: a leading source for K-12 teacher leaders covering instruction, school environment, classroom technology, curriculum, and more.

Edutopia @edutopia
Inspiration and information for what works in education.

Education Week @educationweek
American education's newspaper and website of record.

Ted Talks@TED_TALKS
Ideas Worth Spreading.

Paige Vitulli ‏ @PaigeVitulli
Passionate about family, friends, art, technology, traveling, food, learning and exploring. Associate Professor of Education in AL

Education Nation @educationnation
What do YOU think it takes for student success? Weigh in with #WhatItTakes, and click the below link to send us a video. Hosted by @NBCNews.

US Dept of Education @usedgov
News and information from the U.S. Department of Education.

Education.com @Education_com
Follow us for ideas and inspiration to make learning fun.

John Strange ‏ @drjohnhadley
Professor, Univ of S. Alabama, Photography, Travel Planner, Technology, Future, Cook, Education, Duke, Princeton, Cruise Speaker, Wine Maven, Podcaster, Learner

Krissy Venosdale: Venspired

Pondering Paige

EDM 310 Blog

I will continue to add to this over the course of my education and my career. One thing that I know for sure is that it never hurts to ask for help. And I will make sure that in the future, when I do need assistance, I'm not afraid to ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment